All summer long, kids have been unrestricted by the structure of a school day. This frequently translates into a more lax sleeping and eating schedule. A healthy and filling breakfast is a must when they have a full day of school ahead. So now that the bells are ringing and it’s time to get back to the classroom, parents have a tough challenge in getting children back into a healthy school routine. Here is how to do that as well as printable after school schedule to make things easy!
This after school schedule template post was originally published on August 28, 2016. I have republished it here to make the after school checklist easier to find and to include some additional tips for getting the family into a healthy school routine.
How To Get Back Into A Healthy School Routine
Below are some great tips for families on how to get back into a healthy school routine. The importance of activity, healthy food, and adequate sleep can not be overlooked when it comes to family health.
- Ease back into a school-year bedtime by requiring that the kids go to sleep 15 minutes earlier each day leading up to the first day of school. This bedtime routine will help avoid tossing and turning and feel less like a freedom being taken away from them.
- Give kids healthy choices about what goes in the lunchbox while at the grocery store to ensure they are invested in what is being purchased. Don’t let this freedom go too far, though! Instead of saying, “Pick out something you would like for your lunchbox,” try, “Would you like celery or carrots this week? Involve your kids when packing up their lunches. Assign them tasks, such as selecting a beverage or getting a baggie for the sandwich.
- Post a household monthly calendar in a communal spot where everyone can track dance classes, sports practices and after school clubs. Don’t forget to write in family dinners, so everyone knows what time to be home to eat.
- Be active. While the weather is still warm, try to get outside after dinner for a family walk, bike ride, or other fun physical activities for the whole family.
- Use an After School Schedule. Use the free after school checklist printable below to make getting done the important tasks an easy habit.